Tela Hunting





Divisoria makes us happy! 


JING SAYS...
I was going to sleep in that Sunday, but Erika had other plans. It was the day after Chinese New Year, and she wanted us to go all the way to Divisoria to hunt down some fabrics. I didn't really want to go, but since she asked so nicely, sige na nga! Hehe

ERIKA SAYS...
Why did we have to go all the way to Divisoria? Well, I was going to be a bridesmaid!

Though I was super thrilled for my soon-to-be wed friend, I got super stressed because I had to have my own dress made. The first seamstress I approached quoted a really ridiculous amount. I mean, I'm not going to shell out such a ridiculous sum for a dress that I was only going to wear once.

Fortunately, a month before the wedding, I found out that one of our sewers makes gowns on the side. She was willing to do my gown for way cheaper. The catch: I would have to provide the fabric. Being the cheapskate that I am, I braved Divisoria (and dragged mom along with me) to find the perfect tela. This was about the same time that I was bugging people to like my entry to win tickets to Wicked The Musical.

JING SAYS...
And we were off! I will not pretend to know the ins and outs of Divisoria, so I am glad that one of our mom's cutters at the shop accompanied us. We weaved in and out of crowded streets, going to countless shops, before finally finding one that actually had what Erika needed. This girl, the same girl who made an Excel file to track her competitors in an online contest, was well prepared. She had swatches of the fabrics she wanted as well as photographs of the dress design. Girl scout na girl scout!

ERIKA SAYS...
To go fabric shopping on a Sunday in Divisoria is both a good thing and a bad thing. The good: not too many people. The bad: most of the stores are closed. But alas, luck was on our side because just when I was about to give up, we found a store that sold the fabric that I was looking for! My total fabric expense came up to Php 700 only. Score!

1 comments:

  1. Good for you on your fabric purchase win!

    I've never really been able to enjoy Divisoria much because I'm demophobic, but once we chanced on one of the malls that wasn't too crowded. Sigh, I do want to be able to, though, I want to get a lot of stuff for my kids' crafts needs.

    ReplyDelete

 

Instagram

Facebook


Erika & Jing

Erika is a budding entrepreneur, who dreams of having her own fashion label one day. She's the mommy of Sophie and the daughter of Jing, a fortysomething single mom of four, who's a writer, editor, and craft enthusiast. Click here to read more.