Erika Goes Back to School


Learning new things makes us happy!





JING SAYS...
Erika has gone back to school. While most twenty-somethings are just ecstatic to be out of school, here's my daughter worrying about finishing her homework. What are you taking nga?

ERIKA SAYS...
It's Basic Fashion Design in the morning and Basic Pattern-making in the afternoon at the Fashion Institute of the Philippines. It's every Saturday for four months. I really want to learn how to sew, so I have to know the basics.

JING SAYS...
Why are you taking these courses? Why do you want to learn how to sew?

ERIKA SAYS...
Well, I've always been inclined towards fashion; maybe that's why I used to take all those OOTDs! 

JING SAYS...
Which I thought you'd still do for this blog, by the way, and I'd be like the, why are you wearing that? Mwahahaha

ERIKA SAYS...
I know, no time. ANYWAY, it's really my dream to have my own label someday. Not couture, but ready to wear, maybe like Mango or Zara. 

JING SAYS...
Okay, so explain pattern-making. Sorry, no idea whatsoever about this.

ERIKA SAYS...
Everything begins with the pattern. Even if you have a good design, but you don't have the right pattern, wala rin! It's like interpreting on paper your vision of the design. For our first assignment, we had to make a pattern for a skirt. The measurements had to be precise. I used the L-Square, but I didn't trust the L-Square. I thought it wasn't straight. Of course, I was wrong. There is a purpose to the L-Square, and because I insisted on doing my own measurement, I ended up being off by 2/8 of an inch. I had to do my pattern all over again. Lesson number one: Trust the L-Square!

JING SAYS...
That's so you! Insisting that you're right! Mwahahaha Are you enjoying your classes?

ERIKA SAYS...
Yes, very much! I even like the drawing part now. At first, I was scared because I didn't think I could draw, but then I remembered I used to draw when I was little. So now, I'm drawing again!

JING SAYS...
Great! Good luck, anak!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram

Facebook


Erika & Jing

Erika is a budding entrepreneur, who dreams of having her own fashion label one day. She's the mommy of Sophie and the daughter of Jing, a fortysomething single mom of four, who's a writer, editor, and craft enthusiast. Click here to read more.